The land of Peshawar is the foremost historic place of the world. The land has the stories of Bactrian King, Eucratides, Greco-Bactrian, a Buddhist king, GHaznavid Empire, Sikhs, Pashtun, Mughals, Maratha and British rule. As per historians, Peshawar had the population of 1,20,000 in 100AD, and was considered as the 7th populous city in the world.
The main language of the district is Pashto, and Urdu language is spoken as a national language. Other than these two languages, people speak; Hindko, Punjabi, Saraiki, Khowar, Kohistani, Dari, Hazaragi, Farsi, Tajik and Persian. English is commonly spoken in offices and tourism.
It is a traditional city, where people are associated with different cultures. People of Peshawar earn their living from the industries which includes; goldsmith and silversmith, Carpets manufacturing, pottery, clothing, woodwork, precious stones. There are many markets for shopping. Where travelers come for shopping. The Qissa Khuwani Bazar, Copper market, cowl yadgar are the most famous markets of Peshawar. The economy of Peshawar is based on handicrafts, silk, cotton textile, footwear and processed food.
Attraction for tourists:
The historic landmarks and the places which attract tourists are as follows;
1. Peshawar Museum.
2. Board Bazaar Peshawar.
3. Old Peshawar.
4. Kabuli Gate.
5. Governor's House.
6. Karkhano Market.
7. Peshawar Garrison Club.
8. Kotla Mohsin Khan (the residence of Mazullah Khan).
9. Pashtu poet Durrani Graveyard.
10. Kochi Bazaar.
11. Qissa Khwani Bazaar.
12. Michni Check Post (last Pakistani border post before the Afghani border).
13. Kapoor Haveli Residence of Prithviraj Kapoor (famous Bollywood actor).
15. Bala Hisar Fort.
16. Colonial monuments.
17. Bara Bridge (built by Mughal rulers in 1629).
18. Chowk Yadgar (formerly the "Hastings Memorial").
19. Cunningham clock tower (Ghanta Ghar).
20. Edwardes Mission School.
21. Pashto Academy – the site of an ancient Buddhist university.
22. Shahji ki Dheri (famous Buddhist stupa).
23. Sikh Gurudwara at Jogan Shah.
24. Tomb of Sanan Bin Salma known as Asuhab Baba, A companion (Sahabi) of Muhammad.
25. Tomb of Syed Talib Mohayyudin Chishti Almaroof Chishti Baba G Lajpal (died 1928) – the shrine is situated in the Hazar Khwani graveyard.
26. Tomb of Sheikh Imamuddin (died 1650) – located at Palosi Piran.
27. Tomp of Syed Abdul Wahab Akhun Panju Baba Akbarpura.
28. Tomb of Rahman Baba (died 1706).
29. Tomb of Akhund Darweza (died 1638).
30. Tomb of Sheikh Sultan Baba.
31. Ziarat of Syed Shah Qabool Auliya.
32. Ziarat of Hazrat Mia Umar Baba Chamkani.
33. Ziarat of Syed Hassan Badshah.
34. Ziarat of Agha Mir Jani.
36. Army Stadium – composed of an amusement park for children and families, restaurants, banks. play pens and a shopping arcade.
37. Bagh-e-Naraan – situated in Hayatabad.
38. Cunningham Park/Jinnah Park – situated opposite the Historic Bala Hisar Fort.
39. Wazir Bagh – laid in 1802. by Fatteh Khan. Prime Minister of Shah Mahmud Khan.
40. Ali Mardan Khan Gardens (also known as Khalid bin Waleed Park) – formerly named "Company Bagh".
41. Shahi Bagh – a small portion constitutes the site of Arbab Niaz Stadium.
42. Garrison Park – located on Shami Road and under the control of the army.
43. Tatara Park – located in Hayatabad and designed for children and families.
44. PAFWA Park – Located on Mall Road and under Cantt control.
46. Mohabbat Khan Mosque.
47. Speen Jumat.
48. Ganj Ali Khan Mosque.
49. Qasim Ali Khan Mosque.
50. Sonehri Masjid.
51. Zarghooni Mosque.
52. Bilal Masjid.
53. Masjid Umer Farooq.
54. Darvesh Masjid.
55. Masjid Mia Umar Baba Chamkani.
56. Peshawar Museum.
57. Agha Khan Museum.
58. Gorkhatri Museum.
59. Pashtun Cultural & Heritage Museum.
A number of shopping malls and plazas have been opened in Peshawar, where travelers from different places come here for shopping. Some of the main shopping markets are listed below:
1. Peshawar Saddar – the main shopping center of Peshawar.
2. Qissa Khawani Bazaar – historical bazaar of Peshawar.
3. Karkhano Market – Industrial market of Peshawar.
4. Deans Trade Center – Big shopping Mall of Peshawar.
5. University Road. Peshawar.
All kinds of transportation facility are available in the city, this includes; taxes, busses, and private cars. The government is planning to build a metro train in Peshawar. The project of Metro bus is also in progress. The city has its own international airport, and railway network connected to other major cities.
Hotels in Peshawar:
There are many hotels available in the city of Peshawar, who entertain their customers with professional excellence. Some of the hotels are listed below;