1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving in the Margalla hills to reach Monal Restaurant.

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering in Pakistan' started by PakMac, Jul 2, 2014.

1. PakMac

PakMac Member

It was my beginning experience to ride in the Margalla hills. The road started in the foothills, where Islamabad Zoo is located. We entered the hills from Khayaban-e-Iqbal, Islamabad. The site and the scenery were really catching my eyes. It was entirely green with large trees hiding the mountains behind. The route is considerably defended, but everyone should be careful while driving to the slopes, as there are many steep turns at short lengths. On proceeding, we began to gain height and within 10-15 minutes we arrived at a very famous picnic spot called Daman -E-Koh. The place was really crowded with people and children enjoying the pleasant atmosphere and snack.

Monal 8.jpg

I remember, it was 4:45 PM, month of August slight cold wind was touching our ears, everything was peaceful and soothing. At more or less distance we spotted a group of monkeys hanging on the trees and the road railings. I realize many people bring food for them, but I fear that it is not a safe idea to stand there to feed the monkeys. It is threatening to any body life as they could be very dangerous too.

Monal 9.jpg

In a few minutes we reached the Monal restaurant. The location is almost at the top of the hill. From this point you cannot take your car further above. There is a trekking path which leads you to the peak of the Margalla Hills. Since we were driving slow and enjoying the trip, it took us not more than 20-30 minutes to cover a distance of 15 – 17 Kilometers to reach the Monal restaurant. What I feel is that, a person has wasted his trip to Islamabad if he had not seen the Monal Restaurant.

Monal 10.jpg

Precautions:
    It is safe to drive on the hills as the roads are spacious and smooth, But the driver needs to be very careful as this is a two way road, running upward and downwards. Therefore,

DO NOT OVER TAKE.

AVOID OVER SPEEDING.

ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE WHEEL.

ALWAYS CARE A SEARCH LIGHT ALONG, SPECIALLY AT NIGHT.

USE LOW OR HIGH BEAM ON THE HEAD LIGHTS, AS WHEN NEEDED.

ALWAYS CARRY A CELLPHONE AND EMERGENCY NUMBER IN YOUR DIRECTORY, AS COPS ARE ON THE DUTY 24/7.

DO NOT STAND OUT OF CAR, SPECIALLY AT NIGHT, AS NO ONE CAN NEGLECT THE DANGER OF MOUNTAIN LEOPARDS AND WILD BORES.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  2. Rida12

Rida12 New Member

I also wish to visit the Margalla hills one day. Have been planning for a long time but never got around to visit yet. Hopefully next summers. Pictures look great. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  3. asad hassan ah

asad hassan ah New Member

I also wish to visit

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

No doubt, one of the best scenery in Pakistan.